On this page
What is Zero Waste Leura?
The Zero Waste Leura project is a NSW Love Food Hate Waste (LFHW) Partnership project, funded by the NSW waste levy. This project is to work with Blue Mountains businesses to avoid food waste, increase profitability and reduce their environmental impact. The Zero Waste Leura Project is a partnership between Leura Garage, Leura Village Association, Blue Mountains City Council, the Institute for Sustainable Futures and the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA), which aims to achieve ‘zero-food waste’ in Leura and beyond!
The project will be using the LFHW Your Business is Food (YBIF) program to help food businesses cut their operational cost by knowing where the food waste comes from, a 1-7 days food waste review and implementing a tailor-made plan for businesses to increase their profit by preventing unnecessary waste. Businesses will also be given access to a range of free resources to promote and support their food waste avoidance journey.
There will be a series of events and promotions associated with the project to showcase businesses’ success, including a documentary about the process to identify the case study of Leura for other villages to follow.
Why should businesses sign up to ‘zero-waste’ Leura?
- Free and customised support to prevent food waste
- Cut operational cost and improve business performance
- Free access to a range of support materials
- Improve and promote your environmental credentials in the community
- Benefit from the range of promotions that will be happening throughout the project
Together, we can minimise food waste sent to landfill and greenhouse gas emissions. Help make our local business community ‘zero waste’!
Sign up to Zero Waste Leura
- 8 Things Eatery
- Blue Mountains Food Co-op
- Blue Mountains Hospital Kitchen
- Cafe Leura
- Carrington Hotel
- Gingerbread House
- Hounslow Cafe
- Little Niche Nosh
- Mountain Culture Beer Co.
- Pizza Sublime
Federal Member for Macquarie, Susan Templeman MP spoke in Parliament about the project in 2020, it's groundbreaking aim and the great work local businesses are doing.
The NSW EPA have a range of case studies available, featuring NSW businesses who have successfully reduced food waste:
- Your business is food, don’t throw it away: How to do a food waste review
- Tips for a successful business: reducing food waste
- Reduce food waste in your business: Love Food Hate Waste Case Study - Angelo’s on the Bay