The NSW Government's Emergency website also provides general information about emergency management in NSW, including recovery information and what services may be offered and how they are provided.

BMCC Emergency Dashboard is a purpose-built resource designed to provide local, up to the minute information during an emergency event. It includes updates from emergency services, latest news, and local road closures, as well as helpful recovery information. You can access the BMCC Emergency Dashboard online.

Council has waived waste fees from 12 March 2022 to help residents affected in our community to dispose of their flood-damaged goods and possessions. Residents bringing flood-generated waste to the Blaxland or Katoomba Waste Management Facilities must complete a Disaster Declaration Form which can be downloaded on Council’s website here. Please complete the declaration form prior to arriving at the facilities to reduce delays. All material presented must be hand unloaded, with each visit requiring a completed declaration form. 

Council has waived charges for flood impacted waste, while the NSW Government has waived the waste levy across local governments subject to natural disaster declarations – including the Blue Mountains. 

For guidance on how to manage waste that does not fall into BMCC’s waste categories please visit EPA NSW storm and flood updates 2022.

When handling any refuse which has been contaminated with flood water or mud, personal protective equipment must be worn, especially gloves. After clean-up, protective clothing should be washed, and people should shower within the hour for health and safety.

If you are insured, be sure to contact your insurer and to take photos of any flood damage to your house or property and photos of any goods being disposed of.


Financial Assistance:

Service NSW provide a one stop shop for people and businesses to access all available recovery services. People can call 13 77 88 or visit the Service NSW website to access the assistance currently available.

You can book an appointment with a Flood Recovery Customer Care specialist by calling 13 77 88
If your home or essential household contents were damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster, you may be eligible for the Disaster Relief Grant for individuals. To apply for this, phone 13 77 88 and ask for the Disaster Relief Grant. More information can be found on the Service NSW website.

Services Australia: The Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment of $1000 per adult and $400 per child. Apply via the Services Australia website.  
The Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short-term payment to help you if a disaster directly affects your income. You can get it for a maximum of 13 weeks paid from the date you started losing income as a direct result of the NSW floods. For more information visit the Services Australia website or call 180 22 66.

Applications for the $500 Red Cross Immediate Relief Grant open Friday, March 18th. 
The grant provides cash assistance for people who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of flood impact to their primary place of residence. This grant aims to help people who can’t return home with basic, urgent needs, such as food, clothes, bedding or personal items. One grant is available per household.

Who is eligible?:

  • Homeowners whose primary place of residence was impacted, people renting homes that were impacted, and people living in non-permanent structures such as caravans or mobile homes that were impacted in the floods.
  • Your primary place of residence must be in a postcode that has been declared a disaster area by Government for these floods.
  • Must be experiencing financial hardship due to the impact of the floods on your home.

What you will need:

  • an email address and your contact details;
  • a photo or scan of a document confirming your identity and primary place of residence, such as a driver’s licence
  • if your identity document doesn’t include proof of your primary place of residence, you will also need to provide a photo or scan of a recent utility bill, bank statement, rates notice, driver’s licence or a bill that includes your address
  • confirmation of your bank details, such as a bank statement or internet banking screenshot, clearly showing your name, bank name, BSB and account details

How to apply:

Primary Producers and Not For Profit Organisations, Sporting and Recreation Clubs

A range of assistance is available for primary producers, non-profit organisations, landholders, and small business operators through the Rural Assistance Authority. Visit the Rural Assistance Authority website or call them on 1800 678 593.  These include Special Disaster Grants and Disaster Relief Loans.  
Special Disaster Grants of up to $75,000 are now available for flood affected primary producers. Once approved, eligible primary producers can access $15,000 in assistance up front with a further $60,000 in financial assistance available thereafter upon submission of valid tax invoices.  

Other assistance available through Rural Assistance Authority

  • Primary producers: Concessional loans up to $130,000 Transport subsidies up to $15,000 
  • Small business: Concessional loans up to $130,000 
  • Not-for-profit organisations: Concessional loans up to $25,000 
  • Sporting clubs: Concessional loans up to $10,000 Sporting clubs: $2,000 grant 
  • Rural Aid supports and engages with farmers and rural communities to support farmers to recover from disasters when they occur. If you are a flood affected farmer, you may be eligible for some assistance. Visit the Rural Aid website or call 1300 327 624

Small Businesses

Disaster Recovery Small Business Grant: up to $50,000. The Disaster Recovery Small Business Grant is a one-off payment of up to $50,000 designed to provide short-term targeted assistance for recovery and reinstatement activities, including safety inspections, repairs to premises and internal fittings, and replacement of stock  Visit the Service NSW website to find out if you are eligible, or phone 13 77 88.  

The NSW Small Business Commissioner has support services for small business owners who have suffered direct damage to their assets or loss of income following flooding. Visit the NSW Small Business website or call 1300 795 534
Business NSW has opened access to their Workplace Advice Line, free to all businesses in NSW impacted by the current flood disaster. The Advice Line can help manage issues like employees not being able to work because they cannot travel to work or safely enter the workplace because of flooding. Normally available to members only, the service will be available for the next four weeks at no charge to all businesses in impacted areas. Call 13 29 59 between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Friday. 

Banking Support

Most banks have a support package in place for small business, primary producers, individuals, and households that have been flood affected. Contact your bank to see if you are eligible for flood relief measures including repayment deferrals on home loans, personal loans and the waiving of fees and charges. 
Several companies have moved to offer relief packages, including grants, for their customers affected by the floods. Many are assessing eligibility on a case-by-case basis. 


Short, and longer-term support measures, including 25GB data packs and free call diversion services and reconnections. For more information visit Telstra's Disaster Relief page on their website.


For advice on making an insurance claim, visit the Insurance Council of Australia website or phone the ICA hotline on 1800 734 621


Legal Aid provide help with legal problems including insurance claims and disputes, financial hardship, tenancy, and Centrelink, visit the Disaster Response Legal Service via the Legal Aid website, email or phone 1800 801 529.

Agriculture and Animals

For assistance with stock and the care of animals phone the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647. The Department of Primary Industries (DPI) and Local Land Services (LLS) provide assistance to landholders and communities with animal welfare-related issues resulting from the floods. 

Landholders can request emergency fodder for livestock, animal assessment, veterinary advice and if required, euthanasia and burial. To provide landholders with more options to lodge a request for assistance, a dedicated email has been created for the hotline. Landholders can now lodge requests by either calling 1800 814 647 (operating daily 8am to 8pm) or by emailing

Assistance from Revenue NSW

Revenue NSW may assist people impacted by the floods by placing a hold on all fines, debt and Work and Development Orders, extending payment deadlines and lifting driving sanctions. Call 1300 138 118 for assistance or go to the Natural Disaster Relief page of the Revenue NSW website for more information.

Renter Assistance

For assistance with your rental bond or rent costs for those temporarily or permanently displaced call the NSW Department of Communities and Justice (DCJ) Housing Services on 1800 422 322

For Renter's rights assistance and advice for those renting a property impacted by a natural disaster visit the Tenants’ Advice & Advocacy Service website.

Endeavour Energy

Endeavour Energy has announced a customer assistance package for those in flood affected areas. Visit the Endeavour Energy website for more information or call 131 003.

Australian Taxation Office

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) will assist people affected by floods by deferring tax lodgement or debt payment, or remitting any penalties or interest during the time you have been affected. Call the ATO Emergency Support Infoline on 1800 806 218 for assistance or go to the ATO website for more information.

Mental Health And Wellbeing

For Mental Health Support 24hours/7 days you can call: Lifeline on 13 11 14 or Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636 or the NSW Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511.

Local Practical Help

Gateway Family Services provide free wellbeing counselling to disaster impacted residents  and educational support to community groups. They also provide assistance to connect with other services. For more information call Megan on 0490 676 269 or email

Winmalee Neighbourhood Centre Disaster Recovery provides practical and financial assistance including vouchers, assistance with utilities and No Interest Loans. Phone 02 4754 4050 or email
Salvos National Recovery Services provides assistance with spiritual, practical needs and goods. Phone the Salvos on 1300 662 217 or visit the Salvos website.  
The Salvation Army's Moneycare financial advisors can support you if you are struggling financially. Find support by visiting the Moneycare website or at the Financial Counsellors' Association of NSW website. If you need immediate emergency relief, please call the Salvos Assessment Line (SAL) on 1300 371 288

Australian Red Cross Community Recovery: Public Information and Inquiry Centre (PIIC) in NSW provides accurate, up-to-date general information to the public, and can also answer inquiries regarding the flood events which have impacted on the community. Phone the Red Cross on 1800 227 228. There is a huge range of support resources available on the Red Cross website.  
For information on the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)'s DPI Recovery Support for Primary Producers phone Jamie Perry-Meijer, Recovery Officer, on 0407 910 221 or email
Catholic Care Social Services provides community-based services and emergency support. Phone them on 02 8843 2545 or email
Blue Mountains City Council's Community Recovery Officer provides community support and information. Contact the Community Recovery Officer by phoning 0439 620 163 or send an email to
NSW Health Bushfire and COVID 19 Trauma Recovery Team supports your emotional wellbeing. Phone Ross Jamieson on 0429 011 134 or email
Rural Adversity Mental Health Program's Rural Mental Health Coordinator for the Nepean Blue Mountains Local Health District can provide information, support and referral for mental health and wellbeing. Phone Sonia Cox on 0448 125 676 or email For more information visit the Rural Adversity Mental Health Program website. In an emergency, please call 000 or the Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511.  
Nepean Blue Mountains Primary Health Network's Psychological Therapy Services can provide up to 10 free sessions with a professional for people affected by disasters. Talk to your GP or visit the Nepean Blue Mountains Primary Health Network website

Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW:

The Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW provides free, fair, and independent assistance for customers and small business who are experiencing difficulties with their energy or water retailer or network and cannot resolve the complaint with their provider. You can ring for information and / or lodge a complaint. The Ombudsman will investigate and resolve the complaint working with the customer and their provider. Call 1800 246 545 or visit the Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW's website.

BMCC Emergency Dashboard

BMCC Emergency Dashboard is a purpose-built resource designed to provide local, up to the minute information during an emergency event. It includes updates from emergency services, latest news, and local road closures, as well as helpful recovery information. You can access the Emergency Dashboard online.