NEWS - August 2018
- We have been successful in securing a Grant from the NSW Government for the CELEBRATION of GRANDPARENTS DAY in November 2018. Details of the event to be held at Wentworth Falls Lake on a Saturday in November will be available shortly.
- We are conducting a MOBILITY STUDY to identify the barriers that older people and people with a disability face when navigating the townships of the Blue Mountains, starting with Springwood/Winmalee and Blackheath. Have Your Say in our survey here: https://www.bluemountainshaveyoursay.com.au/mobility-study
- We are also conducting an ACCESSIBLE PUBLIC TOILETS SURVEY to inform the provision of accessible public toilets to assist the frail aged and people with a disability with dignified and equitable access in our towns. Have Your Say in our survey here: https://www.bluemountainshaveyoursay.com.au/toilet-review
Priorities of Council for activities and support for Older People include:
- providing facilities for aged-care services to operate and for older people to socialise
- advocating for the needs and aspirations of older people, particularly with the more vulnerable members of the aged community, to ensure they are afforded respect, inclusion and as good transport, housing and health services
- coordinating and working with community groups and services, including the Seniors Advisory Committee and Community Care Forums
- developing strategies and resources to address local priority needs for older people as identified in the Blue Mountains City Council Ageing Strategy, such as:
- working together with other Council teams to ensure footpaths, civic spaces and buildings in the City are accessible, safe and appropriate for older people
- upgrading parks to provide better shelter and rest areas, while improving facilities to encourage older people to continue being active
- providing charging stations for mobility scooters
- maintaining and making available relevant information service directories and other information strategies (brochures, website, etc.).
For full details of our plan to address the needs of our aged population, please download the Blue Mountains City Council Ageing Strategy.