MUSE is the Museum Advisory Service for the Blue Mountains and your local museum portal. We feature information about museums, tools for museums and provide links to local museum pages. This project is supported by the NSW Government through Create NSW. It is managed by Council and Museums and Galleries NSW.
Questions of journey and imagination...
Where can you:
- Imagine wearing a dress that was the centre of lives beyond any living memory in your world?
- Immerse yourself for a moment in a culture that "always was and always will be"?
- See objects so fine they could have been made by elven sprites?
- Discover the power to cross the country not dreamed of before its inception?
- Discover a story of stone hewn by hands that may have seen the best and worst of human nature?
- Walk through halls that speak of simple pleasures, joy, loss, pain, ecstasy and the extraordinary range of experiences that make up an ordinary human life?
- Connect with the very stories that, like the place that is the Blue Mountains, surround our lives and form a part of who we are?
THE ANSWER IS YOUR LOCAL MUSEUM.
In a time of constant change, how can we continue to ensure our wonderful keeping places and treasure troves of stories and experiences of the Blue Mountains, survive and thrive?
ONE ANSWER: CONNECT WITH MUSE - YOUR PORTAL FOR ADVICE ON MUSEUMS and COLLECTIONS.
Perhaps you are managing a museum, volunteering for one, a visitor wanting to find out more about your museums, a collector, an organisation within the GLAM sector (galleries, libraries, archives and museums) or you are responsible for objects, archives and stories and how best to care for them and present them.
Whatever your connection with museums there is something for you to discover and share, using this portal to our cultural material and places.
Some thoughts to leave you with:
"Memory is the scribe of the soul…" or so Aristotle said! If this is so then who is the scribe for Blue Mountains Memory.
"Museums can be anywhere – in your home, in a local building that oozes with history, an outdoor location with something special embedded in the landscape." - Anonymous
"Don't go to a museum with a destination. Museums are wormholes to other worlds. They are ecstasy machines." ― Jerry Saltz
"Real museums are places where Time is transformed into Space." ― Orhan Pamuk,
"A museum is a place where nothing was lost, just rediscovered…" ― Nanette L. Avery