TEMPORARY TRACK CLOSURE: Council cleans up illegally dumped asbestos - Yondell Ave Fire Trail & Wiggins Track, Springwood
Council is responding to a find of asbestos containing material at this location in accordance with its Asbestos Management Plan and procedures and SafeWork NSW requirements as a priority.
The safety, health and wellbeing of our community and our staff are of paramount importance to Council and we take asbestos management seriously.
What has happened?
- Council was notified of suspected asbestos containing material at this site.
- Council’s Asbestos Response Team promptly inspected the site.
- Fencing and signage were erected to restrict access to the site as a precautionary measure.
- Samples of the material found at this site were tested for asbestos.
- Local residents have been notified.
What is happening now?
- The test results are positive which means the sample material collected from the site does contain asbestos.
- Fencing and signage erected in late May will remain in place.
- However, due to a separate find of asbestos on Friday 15 June at the trackhead of the Wiggins Track (entrance off Yondell Ave Fire Trail) the existing fence, originally placed at the locked gate at the entrance to Yondell Ave Fire Trail, has been moved forward to restrict public access to both Wiggins Track and Yondell Ave Fire Trail (see map above).
- The new location of the fencing is only to restrict public use of the carpark and tracks. It does not indicate the presence of asbestos containing material in closer proximity to residential properties (see map overleaf).
- The location of the asbestos containing material is located approximately 100m away from residential properties. The legal exclusion zone for friable asbestos containing material is 10m. This means the closest house is 10 x the distance deemed to be a safe distance from the asbestos containing material (see map above).
- Please note that air monitors placed along the barrier fence on Yondell Ave Fire Trail have returned negative results to date.
What happens next?
- Removal and remediation work by a licensed asbestos removal contractor will be arranged as soon as possible.
Further updates will be provided to local residents and the community in the coming weeks as Council progresses the appropriate management of this site.
For information relating to asbestos from NSW Public Health see www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/factsheets/Pages/asbestos-and-health-risks.aspx.