Help shape the future of the Leura Cascades Precinct
Blue Mountains City Council is creating a masterplan for the Leura Cascades precinct to guide how we enhance, protect and support nature-based recreation at this popular location.
We invite the community to join us in this important project by attending a community information session at the Solitary Restaurant (90 Cliff Drive, Katoomba) on Saturday, 26 November 2022.
The information session will be divided into two parts:
- 2:00pm – 3:00pm: A structured presentation by Council staff followed by a Q&A.
- 3:00pm – 4:00pm: A drop-in style session with one-on-one conversations with Council staff and consultants.
Both sessions will provide attendees with the same information and the opportunity to ask questions, engage in discussion and provide feedback. Everyone is invited to attend either session.
The Leura Cascades precinct incorporates Solitary Restaurant and Carrington Park given the relationship with adjoining walking tracks, viewpoints and transport linkages. The design of the precinct plan will consider:
- renewal and upgrade of things like public toilets, picnic facilities, and play equipment
- upgrades to walking tracks and connections between tracks
- parking arrangements
- the feasibility of an accessible path connecting the upper and lower areas of the reserve
- vehicle, pedestrian, bicycle access and circulation, within Leura Cascades reserve and the section of Cliff Dr near Solitary Restaurant & Carrington Park.
“As one of the earliest tourism sites in the Upper Mountains, the Leura Falls and Cascades area is highly significant for its cultural, heritage, and scenic values” Mayor, Cr Mark Greenhill said. “With picturesque walks, spectacular views, and a family-friendly picnic spot, Leura Cascades is treasured by residents and visitors of all ages.”
“The Community Information Session is an opportunity to learn about the project and share your ideas to inform the design of the plan.
“We’d love to hear from everyone with an interest in this special place so, together, we can consider the future of Leura Cascades precinct.”
The information presented at the Community Information Session will be available on Council’s Have Your Say website on Monday 28 November until Sunday 18 December 2022 for community comment. To find out more about the visit the Leura Cascades Precinct Plan webpage.
Council is progressively developing plans for six precincts along the Blue Mountains Southern Escarpment that are popular places for residents and a drawcard for visitors.
Leura Cascades precinct is located within the Country of the Dharug and Gundungurra peoples. We recognise that the Dharug and Gundungurra Traditional Owners have a continuous and deep connection to their Country and this is of great significance to Aboriginal people, both locally and in the region.
Photo: Leura Cascades. Credit: Ian Brown