Draft Strategic Plan for BMCC Cemeteries on public exhibition
Blue Mountains City Council is seeking community feedback on the Draft Strategic Plan for BMCC Cemeteries until Friday, 9 July 2021.
Council manages nine cemeteries which are all located on a Crown reserve for Cemetery. These cemeteries are located across the City in a range of rural, bushland and urban settings.
Mayor, Councillor Mark Greenhill said: “The purpose of this plan is to establish a strategic direction to guide the provision, management, operations and continued improvement of Council’s cemeteries over the next 40-plus years.”
This Strategic Plan includes an overall plan for provision of interment services, including:
- Forecasting projected needs for interment space over 40+ years.
- An assessment of the opportunities and constraints of existing cemeteries, particularly those relating to heritage-listed cemeteries and significant graves.
- An assessment of capacity of existing cemeteries.
- Options for management of cemeteries including those closed to burials.
- Implementation and resourcing plans to achieve and monitor success in achieving the recommendations.
In order to best plan for the future, Council is preparing the plan for all nine cemeteries and each has its owner character.
You can review the draft plan and make your submission on the Draft Strategic Plan for BMCC Cemeteries Have Your Say page.
Photo: A cemetery in the Blue Mountains