Blue Mountains Bush Fire Mayoral Relief Fund to help road to recovery
A Blue Mountains Bush Fire Mayoral Relief Fund has been created, to help Blue Mountains’ communities affected by recent bush fires to recover and rebuild.
This registered fund allows the community to assist our local residents in their time of need.
Donations can be made to the following account:
BSB: 082 656 / Account Number: 46 179 2573
Name: Blue Mountains Bush Fire Mayoral Relief Fund
- Internet banking
- Telephone: 02 4780 5000
- Council Offices: 2 Civic Place, Katoomba / 104 Macquarie Road, Springwood, or
- At any National Bank branch.
Please note: Council offices will be closed from Midday on Tuesday, 24 December and reopen on Thursday, 2 January 2020.
Blue Mountains Mayor, Cr Mark Greenhill, announced the establishment of the Fund on 18 December, after visiting fire affected areas in Mount Tomah and Mount Wilson.
Homes were lost during bush fires in the area on Sunday, 15 December. The number is still being assessed, given some areas have been inaccessible until today.
“The Blue Mountains Bush Fire Mayoral Relief Fund will provide funding toward projects that contribute directly to the recovery and rebuilding efforts of any fire affected residents in the Blue Mountains, following recent bush fires,” Mayor Greenhill said.
“It enables the Australian community to assist our local community in their time of need.
“We spoke to community members and volunteers while in the area today. Obviously we did not see everyone, but we will be present in the community as we move forward to recovery.
“While the people I met and spoke to are strong, they have experienced something awful.
“Our job is to move forward with them. Together. That is my message. Recovery is something we do together. No one should be left to get through this alone.
“I thank our Council staff for their dedication and skill in this area. We have a long road ahead.
“We will work with the NSW Government and community services to identify the areas of greatest need for financial assistance in helping our fire affected residents recover from their ordeal and rebuild their lives.”
The Blue Mountains Bush Fire Mayoral Relief Fund is a registered Fund (details below).
Members of the Fund Advisory Committee are:
- Principal consultant on the original nomination for the Greater Blue Mountains Area (GBMA) World Heritage listing – Joan Domicelj AM
- Former NSW Minister for Environment and Minister for Emergency Services – The Hon Bob Debus AM
- Former Member of Parliament for Macquarie – Kerry Bartlett
- First Commissioner of the Rural Fire Service (RFS) and former NSW Minister for Climate Change, Environment and Water – The Hon Phil Koperberg AO AFSM BEM
- Blue Mountains advocate for equity, human rights and dignity – Mary Waterford AM, and the
- Blue Mountains City Council Chief Executive Officer
“A donation of any amount to the Blue Mountains Bush Fire Mayoral Relief Fund is greatly appreciated,” Mayor Greenhill said.
Photo: Blue Mountains Mayor Mark Greenhill with Council staff at Mount Wilson.