Buying or adopting a new pet is a delight, but it does come with responsibilities. Make sure you're ready to take on an animal and that you have the right house for the breed you're choosing. Find out what you can do to keep your pet, your neighbours and your community happy.

On this page

Microchip and register
Transfer and claim ownership
Responsible pet ownership

Subsidised desexing, microchipping and vaccinations

Give your cat or dog the best chance at a happy and healthy life.

For a limited time only, Blue Mountains pet owners with a pension or health care card are entitled to subsidised desexing, microchipping and vaccinations. This is part of the RSPCA’s NSW Community Animal Welfare Scheme (CAWS).

The next round commences on the 01 February 2021 ends on 30 June 2021.
Places are limited.

For more information or to book for your pet, please call the local veterinarians below:

  • Blackheath Veterinary Clinic – 4787 7388
  • Greencross Vets Winmalee – 4754 4333
  • Katoomba Veterinary Clinic – 4782 3273
  • Selwood House Veterinary Hospital – 4758 8990
  • Springwood Veterinary Clinic – 4751 1888
  • Wentworth Falls Animal Hospital – 4757 3255

Microchip and register

All pets must be microchipped and registered. This lifetime registration is a two step process:

STEP 1: Take you pet to a Vet to be microchipped by the time it is 12 weeks old. As part of the process, they will add details to the online NSW Pet Registry or complete and send a Permanent Identification Form.

STEP 2: Login and register your dog or cat before they are 6 months old. To register you will need to create an account on the NSW Pet Registry. This is a public portal to an online database of microchipped and registered cats and dogs that live in NSW.

To create an account you will need to have your driver's licence, passport or medicare card handy. Alternatively, you can lodge a Lifetime Registration Form with Council. If your Vet has marked your pet's records as desexed or you have a desexing certificate or pensioner card you'll receive a discount.

Desexing & Reduced Registration Fees 

You may choose to have your pet desexed in order to pay the reduced registration fee. To qualify for the reduced fee you need to desex your dog by 6 months of age and your cat by 4 months of age. Pension card holders will received a further discount if their dog or cat has been desexed by the specified age.

Transfer and claim ownership

Setup an account or login to NSW Pet Registry to transfer the ownership. The current owner of the pet must transfer ownership first. This is best done on the day that you pick up the new pet. The new owner must then login as soon possible to claim ownership.

Once you have an account you can log back in at any time to keep your contact details and profile up to date. Up to date details give your pet the best chance of being returned home if they are lost or injured.

If you do not have online access you can lodge a Change of Owner / Details Form with Council.

Responsible pet ownership

As an owner or person in charge of a dog or cat, it is your responsibility to make sure that your pet does not create a nuisance by noise or otherwise.

The intermittent and piercing nature of a dog's bark can be very disruptive for close neighbours. Understanding why your dog is barking and what you can do to identify and remove triggers is essential. When you are out and about with your dog, make sure it is leashed and under control. Take your dog to dog friendly and leash free parks. Pick up your dog’s waste so nobody steps in it.

Dogs may be permitted in outdoor dining areas (the business owner decides). They are not allowed inside food consumption or preparation areas, the National Park, wildlife protection areas, school or children’s playgrounds or within 10 metres of children's play equipment. Look out for and observe dog prohibition areas. Fines may apply if your dog is found somewhere it shouldn’t be.

Cats are hunters and an important factor in the decline of native animal populations. All cat owners are encouraged to keep their cats indoors at night, to not feed stray cats and to have your cat cared for properly when you’re away on holidays. Cats should be kept out of wildlife protection areas that is all National Parks, bushland areas and some parks and reserves. They are not permitted in food businesses - consumption or preparation areas.

Annual permits for non-desexed cats and dangerous/restricted dogs

From 1 July 2020, the NSW Government is introducing annual permits for non-desexed cats and restricted and dangerous dogs as part of its commitment to promoting responsible pet ownership and improving animal welfare standards.

From 1 July 2020:

  • owners of cats not desexed by four months of age will be required to pay an $80 annual permit in addition to their one-off lifetime pet registration fee.
  • owners of dogs of a restricted breed or formally declared to be dangerous will be required to pay a $195 annual permit in addition to their one-off lifetime pet registration fee.
  • pet owners will be able to pay for annual permits using the NSW Pet Registry website or through their local council.

This will create a stronger incentive to desex cats, which in turn will improve their health and wellbeing, including reducing the risk of some cancers. Improving desexing rates will also ease the burden on pounds and shelters, reduce euthanasia rates, and help to address concerns about feral, stray and roaming cats and their effect on wildlife.

Exemptions are in place for cats that are registered by 1 July 2020, those kept for breeding purposes by members of recognised breeding bodies, and cats which cannot be de-sexed for medical reasons. 

This will serve as a further disincentive to owning high-risk dogs and encourage owners to better manage the behaviour of their animal.

From 1 July 2020, pet owners will be able to pay for annual permits using the NSW Pet Registry website or through their local council.

Annual permit fees will go directly to the Companion Animals Fund which pays for companion animal management by local councils including pounds/shelters, ranger services, dog recreation areas, and education and awareness programs.

The fund is also used to operate the NSW Pet Registry and carry out responsible pet ownership initiatives.

If you require any further information or assistance, please contact the NSW Pet Registry at and 1300 134 460.

Annual Permits – Frequently Asked Questions