This section includes information and links for health information and wellbeing assistance, and information about temporary housing.

On this page

Health advice
Wellbeing support
Emergency temporary accommodation
Pets and wildlife

There are many organisations who can assist you with the psychological effects of an emergency. 

Health advice

For general bush fire health advise, visit the NSW Health bush fire page. If you have specific health concerns/complaints. Please call Health Direct on 1800 022 222 or your GP for clinical advice. 

Wellbeing support

It’s completely normal to experience a range of emotions after a fire and having someone to listen to and support you through this is very important. There are a range of free services available to help you and your family:

Free services available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week:

  • Mental Health Line – 1800 011 511
  • Lifeline – 13 11 14
  • Men’s line – 1300 789 978
  • Kids Helpline – 1800 551 800
  • Beyond Blue – 1300 224 636

Free services available during business hours, for people impacted by fires:

  • Mountains Care – 4720 6100
  • Gateway Family Services Blaxland – 4720 6500
  • Gateway Family Services Katoomba – 4782 5326

If you or someone you know is in immediate danger call 000.

Emergency temporary accommodation

Emergency temporary accommodation is available to people affected by the recent bush fires.

Short-term housing support for up to three months is available to all people in urgent need of housing because of a natural disaster. This covers people who would not normally be eligible for social housing.

If you need temporary accommodation, please contact:

  • Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322 (24/7)
  • Wentworth Community Housing on 4777 8000
    Local support. Open 8.30am – 4.30pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Closed Wednesday

Pets and wildlife

Taking care of pets is also a priority. The RSPCA has a wealth of information about caring for pets and wildlife.

If you are missing a pet or need to update registration details, please contact Council and we will try to assist you. Contact Council on 4780 5000 or at 

Local Land Services offer assistance with emergency fodder, stock water and assessment of animals impacted by the fire. Landholders are also encouraged report any stock losses or animal welfare issues. Contact Local Land Services on 1800 814 647.

Information on how to help local wildlife is also available on Council’s local wildlife need your help fact sheet.