We are here to help you get back on track after a bush fire. 

On this page

Access to site
Rebuilding after a fire
Living on site during rebuilding

Building Design

Depending on the age of the building we may have a copy of the existing plans. You may however take the opportunity to redesign structures. Current building codes will apply and often this means that buildings in bush fire prone areas will need additional measures in place. Take advantage of a free advisory service offered to fire affected properties. Bookings can be made on 4780 5000.

Consider whether you will be using a builder or if you'll be an owner builder.

Lodging an application

The type of approval needed will depend on the build. If development approval (DA) is required, we will waive the infrastructure contributions and the BMCC portion of the fees that may apply. We cannot waive State levies.

Development approval looks at the conditions of the land and the provisions of planning instruments. Among other things, it considers impact of fire on structures.

Along with the development application you will need to apply for a construction certificate (CC). This can be issued by Council or a private certifier. In some circumstances, you may be able to apply for a Complying Development Certificate. This is a fast track approval process.

Lodge your application online


Seek quotes for building work as soon as you have the development consent and construction certificate. At this point and prior to commencement of works you will need to appoint a Principal Certifier to complete a series of mandatory inspections at key stages throughout the build. On completion an occupation certificate will be issued. This can only be issued if all mandatory inspections have been completed.

Living on site during rebuild

A special concession is in place. In order to provide an opportunity for property owners to live on site while their homes are reconstructed, the Council allows for temporary housing including caravans, manufactured homes or moveable dwellings. Conditions apply. For example, reticulated water and sewage systems or onsite sewage management / water supply (min 20,000 litres), must be operational. Further information on the conditions that apply can be found in Council’s Local Approvals Policy.