Explore information and resources on things that you need to consider when building, renovating or subdividing land.

Lodge your application online

Get informed

Every good design works from the character and conditions of the land. Before you begin to design your proposal find out whether the type of development proposed is permissible in the zone. For this, you will need to refer to the maps under Property Map Search and then permissible land uses in the relevant Local Environmental Plan (LEP) under Planning Rules.

The maps also reference building heights, floor space ratios and so on. They identify whether the property has sensitive vegetation, a heritage item, or is bushfire prone. The maps relate to the LEP. The LEP sets out the objectives of the zone and other matters that need to be considered. The Development Control Plan (DCP) then provides detailed controls based on the zoning of the land, whether there are any protected areas and the type of development proposed. If you need help navigating the process speak to our customer service advisors.

Once you know the constraints of the site and the development standards, you can start to design your proposal.

Get started

Council supports well designed and suitable developments but not all projects need a development application (DA). Many types of home renovations and minor building projects don't need approval. These types of projects are called exempt development. As long as the building project meets specific standards and land requirements, no planning or building approval is needed. Visit the NSW Planning Portal to see if your project is exempt development.

If the proposed development or renovations are complying development they qualify for a fast track approval process. You'll need to apply for a complying development certificate (CDC).Visit the NSW Planning Portal to find out if your project is complying development. CDC's can be issued by Council or a private Certifier.

If your project is not exempt or complying development, you’ll need to submit a development application (DA). Information on the plans and documents needed to support the proposal are outlined in the Development Control Plan. A guide on the plan and document requirements for a single dwelling is also available. For large-scale, complex or controversial development applications we encourage pre-lodgement meetings. Whilst this gives no guarantee on the outcome of your development application, a pre-lodgement meeting is beneficial as Council officers can provide early comments on your proposal.

Before any site works start, you will need a construction certificate. This certificate certifies that the plans and specifications meet building / engineering codes and Australian Standards. Construction certificates and the inspection process undertaken during construction can be managed by Council or a private certifier. Once all works are complete an occupation certificate is issued or in the case of a subdivision / boundary adjustment a subdivision certificate.

To find out more about our complying development certificate, construction certificate and inspections service see Blue Mountains Building Certifiers.

Infrastructure contributions, where they apply, must be paid before the release of the construction certificate or on issue of the complying development certificate.

Lodge online

Applicants must register and login to the NSW Planning Portal to start the application process. You will need to complete the online application form and upload all relevant documents and plans. For further details see Lodge an application online.

Once received we check the value of works and send a fee invoice. At this point an application can be returned where documents are inadequate to permit a value of works assessment and / or the fees are not paid within seven days. On receipt of full payment (allow two days for BPay) the application is lodged. An officer is assigned and assessment begins. This includes a public exhibition period and in some cases referral to other authorities. At the end of the process determinations and approved plans are uploaded online.

Track progress

Use our application search to track the progress of development related applications, or to view other current and past approvals. Documents submitted with an application are published online. To protect individual privacy some information is obscured. Documents are also print restricted.

The contents of the website are subject to copyright and are protected by laws in Australia and other countries through international treaties. The applicant (not being the copyright owner) is taken to have indemnified all persons using the development application in accordance with the NSW Environmental Planning Assessment Act and the Government Information (Public Access) Act, against any claim or action in respect of breach of copyright.

Development applications that involve varying a development standard, are contentious or where there is a conflict of interest, are decided or determined by the Blue Mountains Local Planning Panel.

Other approvals

Blue Mountains City Council has also partnered with Service NSW to offer small business a free and dedicated concierge service that provides tailored help on what you need to do to open your business faster. Though one online portal you can receive step-by-step guidance and support across local, state and federal government requirements.

There are other types of approvals issued by the Council – onsite sewage management systems, installation of fuel heaters, etc. Where they are covered by a development consent separate approval is not required.

Any work within the road reserve must have separate approval. Whether that be opening the road for services, installing a driveway crossing; erecting a hoarding, using a crane or placing a skip bin on a footway. See works in the road reserve.

Modifying a consent or certificate

If you need to make changes to your design and / or seek to change a condition of consent, you will need to apply for a modification online via the NSW Planning Portal.

Surrender a consent or existing land use

You can also surrender a consent or existing land use that no longer applies to the land. Forms are below and these can be sent direct to council@bmcc.nsw.gov.au.

Calculate the cost of development

Lodgement fees must be paid after the cost of development (sometimes referred to as the value of works) is confirmed and before assessment starts. To determine the value, Council uses a building cost calculator. Costs associated with drainage, landscaping and road works etc., are then added to the building costs, to give the total cost of the development. Council's calculator is based on:

  • Costs that relate to level sites.
  • Area is measured over the external walls of the building.
  • Figures supplied are based on 0% adjustment to Sydney prices.
  • Information published by the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (NSW Chapter, REED Construction Data (Cordells Building Cost Guide) and Archicentre Ltd.

Alternatively, you can supply a building quote or contract from a licensed builder. For projects over $2 million a detailed report from a registered Quantity Surveyor is required.