We are keen to support the wide variety of community-run festivals and events that take place in the Blue Mountains each year. They are an important part of community life. 

To make an event successful it is imperative that the event organiser ensures their event planning and management meets the necessary regulative provisions to Local and State Government.

We recommend that event organisers familiarise themselves with the NSW Government Event Starter Guide, which is a great resource and has been prepared to assist people from the community to navigate their way through some of the many issues involved in organising an event.

We require all event organisers to complete and submit a Festivals and Events Application Form for events on public land.

You will need Adobe (Acrobat or Reader) to complete the fillable PDF Forms - like the 'Festival and Events Application'.  Click here to get the latest version.

To use the PDF fillable forms, on PC or MAC:

  • Open the form in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. This means you may need to save it to you desktop, right click > open with > Adobe (Acrobat or Reader). All fillable fields and signature box will be active and be able to be completed.
  • If you open the form in a new tab in your internet browser – STOP. You will not be able to fill in the PDF form correctly and we may NOT be able to see any information you have entered. You will most likely be unable to sign the form as well, in this mode.
  • Click to get information on how to set up an electronic signature for PDF documents

Permits for festivals and events

Organisers of festivals or events on public land are required to submit an application for their festival or event.

This needs to include the Festival and Event Application Form, Attachment 2 (Event Site Plan), a copy of Insurance Certificate of Currency and Attachment 5 (Hold Harmless Form).

Other events may require additional forms to also be completed and submitted. All forms can be downloaded on the right, or from the bottom of this page.

  • Festival and Events Application Form
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 1 (Traffic Management)
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 1b (RTA Classification Matrix)
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 2 (Event Site Plan)
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 3 (Stalls and Food Safety Regulations)
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 4 (Hall Booking Officers)
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 5 (Hold Harmless Form)
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 6 (Schedule of Fees and Charges)
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 7 (Inclusion of Calendar of Events Form)
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 8 (Youth Event Guidelines)
  • Festival and Events: Attachment 9 (Equipment to Loan)
  • Festival & Events: Attachment 11 (Police Schedule Form)

Promotion of festivals and events

Regional events, festivals and markets are promoted through the local Visitor Information Centres, Blue Mountains City Tourism and Visit NSW websites and several tourism publications/websites and other relevant outlets.

If you would like your event information to appear in any or all of these locations please complete the form - Inclusion in Calendar of Events.

The information provided will also be included in the hard copy of the Seasonal Calendar of Events that is made available to the above locations.

Calendar of events

View the wide range of festivals, markets and events on offer in the Blue Mountains region

You can view Council’s seasonal Calendar of Events here.

If you are planning a community event and would like it to be included in our seasonal Calendar of Events  please complete the form - Inclusion in Calendar of Events and return to events@bmcc.nsw.gov.au.

Banner bookings

We can approve the placement of banners at Glenbrook Oval fence and the intersection at Yeaman’s Bridge, Katoomba.

To book these places please fill in the banner application form.

Approval is conditional upon the banner referring to non-profit/charitable organisations, sports or community groups and community events.

Evidence of Public Liability Insurance must be supplied.

For all other bridges or overpasses please refer to the Roads and Maritime Services website.

Busking and street theatre

Busking and street theatre in public places can add to the character and culture of a town. However it can also present challenges to community safety and amenity.

Busking and street theatre are permissible activities in most public places within the Blue Mountains.

In locations that busking and street theatre are permissible, no application or notification to Council is required. In these locations, when performing, buskers and street performers are to ensure that:

  • There is 2.5 metres available for pedestrians to pass.
  • They do not affix any item or object to, or mark or draw on, the footpath.
  • They do not use public address systems or amplifiers.
  • The immediate area is left clean and tidy and kept clear of hazards.
  • They exercise good risk management practices at all times so as to avoid injury or loss to others.
  • Money is solicited only by placing a receptacle on the ground
  • Money is NOT solicited by asking members of the public for money or by approaching the public for the purpose of selling goods.

Where is Busking and Street Theatre not allowed?

The following locations may NOT be used for busking and street performances:

  • The Echo Point precinct, Katoomba.
  • Within 5 meters of a bus stop , pedestrian crossing, taxi stand or intersection.
  • Any area adjacent to residential premises, a school or place of public worship.
  • All parks and reserves, except with Council’s written approval.
  • Areas designated by Council signage or where the activity has the potential to create a nuisance or a hazard to pedestrians or vehicles. 

If buskers and street performers are in areas where they are not allowed to be, then they may be subject to action by authorised Council officers or the NSW Police.

If buskers and street performers cause a nuisance, offence or obstruction in locations where they are allowed, they may also be subject to action by authorised Council officers or the NSW Police.

Using Town Squares

Council does not issue any exclusive approvals for use of the public squares as they are public places that cannot be hired or closed off for any specific event. The rights of the public to use the squares must be considered at all times.

Should you intend to hold an organised gathering in Town Squares please complete the form and return to us.

You will be advised in writing if your proposed use of the Town Square is approved.

Town Square Use Form

Street stalls

Approval to operate a street stall will be conditional upon the stall being staffed by volunteers, with applications from locally based community organisations accepted only.

Guidelines for Booking Street Stalls in the Blue Mountains


For information about obtaining a Fireworks Single Use Licence (FSUL) please see the SafeWork NSW website.

Part of the eligibility criteria for a FSUL licence is that the intended use of the fireworks is only for an organised public event which has a supporting letter from the local council stating they have no objections.

Please note that SafeWork NSW will not issue a FSUL licence unless you can provide proof you have notified the police, fire brigades and local council as well as any other relevant agencies.

Guidelines for Council when notification of an intention to use fireworks is received

Further information

Phone: 4780 5000

Email: council@bmcc.nsw.gov.au