After you have an approval - the next steps 

Once you have an approval, there are still some steps to follow before building works can begin.

Review the conditions

Understand the conditions of your approval and provide a copy to your builder. Ensure you understand any requirements needed before work begins.

Keep a copy of the approved documents on site during the construction process.

Your approval may require payment of fees, such as Infrastructure Contribution fees. These must be paid before issue of a Construction Certificate, or before the commencement of work if you have a Complying Development Certificate (CDC) approval.

Other approvals you need

If your proposal involves building or construction work, will need a Construction Certificate (CC) before you begin works. Note: A Complying Development Certificate approval does not need a CC.

Your development consent will also tell you if other approvals are required. These may include building plan approval from Sydney Water, on-site sewage management system approval, or a Roads Act approval to open the road to access services.

Appoint a Principal Certifier

You will need to appoint a Principal Certifier (PC) before starting work. A PC is either Council or a private Accredited Certifier who oversees the construction or subdivision process.

To appoint Council as your PC you will need to complete the Principal Certifier Service Agreement form and forward to Council. Council will send an information package to you on what you need to provide and the inspections required for your build.

Appoint a builder

If you are using a licenced builder for your work, the builder must have the appropriate insurance. For residential building work valued at $20,000 or more, insurance under the Home Building Compensation Fund (HBCF) is required. When works are under $20,000 a letter from the Principal Contractor confirming their appointment is sufficient. You will need to provide this to the Principal Certifier.

More information is available on Services NSW.

Owner builders

If you want to supervise or do residential building work, you may need an Owner/Builder Permit. If the value of works is more than $10,000, and you're not contracting a licensed builder to supervise the work, you'll need a permit. A copy must be provided to the Principal Certifier.

More information is available on Services NSW.

Provide notice of commencement of works

You must notify the Principal Certifier (PC) your intention to start work at least two days before any works begin. If Council is the PC, the Notice of Commencement form is included in your information package. The completed form can be emailed to Council. The form is also on Council's website.

During Construction

Comply with the development consent and approved plans 

Ensure you and your builder understand and carry out the work according to the approval and supporting documents.
Penalties apply for failure to comply with a condition of consent and may prevent the issue of the Occupation Certificate.

Critical stage inspections during the construction process

During construction, there are mandatory inspections which must be carried out by the Principal Certifier (PC). If you have chosen Council as your PC, ensure the PC Applicant, licenced builder or owner/builder books the required inspections.

To book an inspection with Council contact the team on (02) 4780 5422. At least 24hrs notice is required when requesting an inspection.

Once construction is completed

Once works are complete, and before you occupy or use the building, you need an occupation certificate. If you have chosen Council as your PC, contact the team to book a final inspection. The Certifier will verify that the building is suitable to occupy and that it meets the requirements of the development consent and Building Code of Australia.

Upon a satisfactory inspection, and once all the required documents are received, you may apply for the occupation certificate. Apply online using the NSW Planning Portal.

The occupation certificate is issued via the NSW Planning Portal.