What is a service?
A service is either:

  • A collection of up to four cubic metres (4m3)of bulky household waste, or
  • Chipping of up to four cubic metres (4m3) of garden vegetation.

It is not a mixture of the two. If you need both services, you will need to make two separate bookings. If you booked a service but did not present waste materials by the notified date, it still counts as a service.

How many services can I receive?
Each residential property that pays a domestic waste charge can book two booked waste services of their choice per year. These waste services are at no extra cost. This can be either:

  • Two bulky waste services per year (each with a four cubic metre limit), or
  • Two chipping services per year (each with a four cubic metre limit), or
  • One bulky waste and one  chipping service per year (each with a four cubic metre limit).

When will my service allocation be renewed?
Your two free services will renew at the beginning of each financial year (1 July to 30 June) Make sure you book your service at least 6 - 8 weeks before the end of the financial year. This allows time for the collection to take place before 30 June and meet your allocation.

Can I split a service into a bulky waste and chipping service if the total volume of waste materials is less than four cubic metres?
No, a service cannot be split or mixed. A service is either a bulky waste or chipping service.

Can I select my collection date?
Yes, a calendar of available dates for your address will be visible when you have selected your location area.

What if available dates do not suit me?
Dates made available are set based on the location of your property. These have been set to when collection vehicles are in your area to ensure the most efficient and effective delivery of the service to the whole Blue Mountains LGA.

How much waste material can I present?
For each service, a household may present four cubic metres (4m3 ) of waste material. Try using the following guides to measure four cubic metres:

  • Bulky Waste: make a pile 2m long x 2m wide x 1m high (the height of a standard door is two metres), or
  • For narrow and confined spaces make a pile 4m long x 1m wide x 1m high.

For chipping, depending on the length of branches (minimum 1m, maximum 3m) try making a pile either:

  • 4m long x 1m wide x 1m high, or
  • 3m long x 1.33m wide x 1m high, or
  • 2m long x 2m wide x 1m high.

Do not stack waste materials higher than one metre - for safety reasons.

I have put items out for collection but someone has added to it and it looks more than allowed. What can I do?
Only present waste materials the night before your service date. This should reduce the chance of others adding to it. If someone has added to your waste materials, please tell us so we can investigate.

What if I own a holiday home in the Blue Mountains but live outside the region?
You are entitled to receive two booked waste services per financial year. You will still need to put waste materials out no earlier than the night before your selected service date.

Will the paid service still be available if I want extra services?
Yes. Extra services are still available if you need more than two services per year. Please book your additional service and a member of staff will contact you to arrange payment. 

I am a tenant – can I use the service? / Do I have to be a ratepayer to use the service?
You must be a resident of a property that pays rates (rates include the domestic waste management charge). This includes tenants. The service is only available to residential properties, not to businesses.

I have just moved to a new house and the previous tenants have used the allocated two booking. Can these two free bookings be reinstated for me?
No, unfortunately not.

If I don’t use all my services in the year do they carry over?
No. Unused services do not carry over from year to year.

Which waste materials can I present?
‘Waste materials’ refers to either garden vegetation or general household items. Check the Service Requirements for a detailed list. 

Where can I dispose of items not accepted in the booked clean up service?
Items not accepted for collection in the booked clean up service can be taken to Blaxland or Katoomba Resource Recovery Waste Management Facility.

Due to footpath constraints, all our neighbours put items together on the footpath. Is it still possible to make a booking?
You should only combine waste materials with neighbours if you have had approval from us. Please tell us of any space constraints when you make your booking.

When will the service happen?
On the date you have made the booking request.

For tenanted properties or holiday homes – will it be the owner that books the service?
Tenants can use the service as occupants of the property. Owners or landlords allow tenants to use the weekly garbage or recycling services. We assume tenants can also use the other waste services.

If I have 8m3 of waste or chipping can I book my two 4m3 services for the same day?
Yes. You may use your two free services as you need them. You will need to complete a second application for the second service. 

How do I cancel a booked service? How much notice do you need? 
Please call Council on 4780 5000. We need at least 7 days’ notice before your service date.

What is the cost of booking an extra chipping and clean-up service? How do I book an extra service and how will my date be allocated? 
The cost of an extra service for bulky waste of up to four cubic metres is $100 and chipping of up to four cubic metres is $63, in financial year 2019-2020.
Additional services must meet the same Service Requirements and Terms and Conditions as free services. You will be required to pay the fee before a service date can be allocated. Volume limits and service delivery is the same for additional paid services as for free services. If a resident presents less than four cubic metres, the fee remains the same.