Firstly, to give a bit of background – emissions are categorised into Scope 1, Scope 2 and Scope 3 – we’ve given a quick description of each below:
- Scope 1 emissions are direct emissions such as; gas released from our landfill sites, emissions associated with bottled and mains gas usage, and from Council vehicles.
- Scope 2 emissions are indirect emissions from consumption of purchased electricity or heat.
- Scope 3 emissions are all other indirect emissions produced by third parties for the benefit of Council. For the action plan and reporting purposes, we’re currently focusing on supplied and metered water only.
Here's an outline of our current targets and progress:
Target: 30% reduction in combined Scope 1, Scope 2 and Scope 3 emissions.
- Achieved a 22% reduction to date;
- Original target increased from 20% to 30% reduction by 2022.
Target: 20% reduction in Scope 2 emissions.
- Achieved a 5% reduction to date;
- Maintain current target.
Target: 5% reduction in Scope 1 emissions (excluding landfill emissions).
- Achieved a 0.5% reduction. This is relatively small due to the increased transportation of waste as a result of the closure of parts of the Katoomba waste transfer station.
Target: 300Kw of additional installed renewable energy.
- Detailed designs complete and tendering commenced for five Council Solar PV Systems totalling ~289Kw.