Search The Site
Blue Mountains Youth Council
The Blue Mountains Youth Council was established in 2003 because Council considers consultation with young people to be very important. Council seeks to understand how young people throughout the Blue Mountains feel about the decisions made that affect them. The Blue Mountains Youth Council is also a chance for young people to get involved in Council projects and to be consulted so that Council becomes aware about what's working, what needs improvement, and what aspirations are out there for the City of the Blue Mountains.
The Youth Council is online at:
Check out the headspace youthMAG as well:
- Winter 2015 (or download from the right side of this page)
Some of the achievements of the Blue Mountains Youth Council to date:
- Contributing towards the updated Mountains of Help youth directory, available in print and online (access from the right side of this page).
- Creating the Community Christmas ‘Giving Tree’ project that, in partnership with Platform Youth Services, seeks donations for distribution to young people in need in the Blue Mountains.
- Hosting a visit from the NSW Commissioner for Children and Young People, and making a formal consultation with the Commission on matters of youth health to inform NSW Health policy.
- Presenting to Councillors on issues relating to the Glenbrook Skatepark Facility.
- Initiating the SmartStart University Scholarship, a partnership with Blue Mountains City Council and the University of Western Sydney which aims to improve access to University of Western Sydney for young residents of the Blue Mountains.
- Representation on a number of internal and external committees including: the NSW Commission for Children and Young People's Advisory Committee, the NSW Youth Week Committee, the Blue Mountains World Heritage Advisory Committee, the NSW Youth Parliament, and most recently the NSW Youth Council Conference.
Council is committed to supporting young people's involvement in decision-making, and strives towards creating a positive, healthy, inclusive environment in the Blue Mountains for our young people to grow and thrive.
For more information contact on (02) 4780 5000.