Search The Site
Follow Us on Facebook..
Click to Subscribe
email the Recovery Team
Please see the Recovery Flyer on the right hand side of this page for download for a quick reference guide to useful recovery contacts.
A number of support services are available to assist people affected by the October 2013 bushfires.
- Emotional support and counselling.
- Social support programs.
- Financial counselling.
- Government support information.
Need Urgent Support?For immediate help telephone crisis support and counselling 24 hours, 7 days a week (limited online assistance depending on the service).
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
- Domestic Violence Helpline 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT
- Mensline 1300 78 9978
- Beyondblue Support Service 1300 22 4636
- eheadspace 1800 650 890 (9am- 1am)
Click on a heading to go to that section:
- Local Organisations Supporting Bushfire Recovery
- Other Counselling/Family Support Services
- Goods & Services
- Government Information & Financial Assistance
- Insurance / Legal
Bushfire Recovery Counselling – ATAPS program - CLOSED for referrals as of 31 December 2015
The ATAPS Bushfire Recovery program was designed to assist people in their emotional recovery from the October 2013 Blue Mountains bushfires.
The program was part of Nepean Blue Mountains PHN's Access to Allied Psychological Service (ATAPS) program.
Since opening in February 2014, the service was able to provide counselling support to approximately 300 people affected in some way by the bushfires.
Funding for the program is now closed. Please talk to your GP if you need ongoing support.
For more information about Nepean Blue Mountains PHN's programs and services visit : www.nbmphn.com.au
Catholic Care Social Services – Springwood Drop In Centre
- Bushfire Support assists people to move through their recovery process using a step-by-step model. Contact CCSS if you need assistance or are feeling overwhelmed.
- Free Counselling services for individuals, couples, children and families. No referral is necessary.
- Free financial counselling.
- Free Counselling for Problem gambling.
- Support groups and programs such as Keeping kids in Mind and post separation support.
- Drop-in, computer access and study space.
Contact Springwood Drop In Centre Phone: 4751 4956 or Visit 3/163 Macquarie Road Springwood. Opening Hours Monday – Friday 10am – 4pm. Email: email@example.com
Some of the programs offered by Winmalee Neighbourhood Centre include:
- Low cost or no cost educational/recreational programs.
- Utility assistance with electricity, water, Telstra and limited food vouchers.
- Winmalee Community Food Cupboard.
- No Interest Loans (NILS) up to $1,200.
- Free Counselling for bushfire affected residents.
- Free financial counselling.
- Numerous fire recovery projects.
Contact Winmalee Neighbourhood Centre Phone: 4754 4050 Visit 62 White Cross Road, Winmalee. Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4pm. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Neighbourhood Centres
Neighbourhood Centres run a wide range of free or low cost social, recreational and support programs and activities that connect local communities. Click here for a list of Blue Mountains Neighbourhood Centres.
The Salvation Army are continuing to support fire-affected members of the community through their grants program, financial counselling referrals: counselling referrals for individuals, families and couples and personal support. At Springwood Salvation Army there are a range of social and interest groups for all ages to promote wellbeing and community connectedness.
Contact The Salvation Army Recovery Centre Phone: 4751 7964 or Mobile: 0407 567 826. Visit: Springwood Salvation Army, 15-23 Francis Road, Faulconbridge. Hours by appointment: Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays 9am - 5pm. Email: email@example.com
Free resources to help people cope and deal with major disasters and recovery.
- Blue Mountains Family Support - 4782 1555
- Gateway Family Services - 1300 316 746
- Katoomba and Springwood Community Health - 1800 222 60.Free Counselling available.
- The Glue Factory - 4782 4436 Youth Service for 12-24 year olds in crisis, vulnerable or dealing with drug and alcohol issues
- Headspace – mental health services to 12-25 year olds 4720 8800 Penrith
- Relationships Australia - Counselling for individuals and couples, family therapy, mediation and family dispute resolution. 1300 364 277
- Habitat for Humanity - Brush With Kindness program enlists volunteers to assist in the rejuvenation of the landscape and gardens on bushfire-affected properties.
- Australian Government Disaster Assist - Information on assistance for current disasters.
- Australian Government Department of Human Services Financial assistance available in an emergency
- Disaster Welfare Assistance Line - 1800 018 444 Information about disaster relief grants for content and structural repairs, available to low income earners with no insurance.
- Australian Tax Office - The ATO has important information regarding individuals dealing with disaster.
- Department of Fair Trading - 13 32 20
- Small Business Support Line - 1800 777 275
- Insurance Council of Australia Disaster Hotline - 1800 734 621
- Legal Aid - 1300 888 529
- Elizabeth Evatt Community Legal Centre -1300 363 967